We have presented ideas about archiving data before (remember the “policyIQ Archiving Options” post from January?). Still, we hear from someone new at least once per month asking about these options and exactly how the process works. If you want to archive data each quarter or each year, here are the steps that we recommend:
Archiving your policyIQ Content
1. Request a Snapshot (Tools & Settings > Snapshots).
2. Once Snapshot is complete, identify the content (Pages or Activities/Form Lists) that you wish to remove from the site.
3. Next, Delete the old content.
4. Wait–you’re not finished yet! The content is still in your site. Next, you need to go to the Delete menu (Create And Edit) and Permanently Delete the old content (only a Site Administrator or someone with the Permanently Delete permission enabled can perform this action).
5. The last step: Contact Support@policyIQ.com and request that we run the compression script. Only after this step can you observe a reduction in the size of your database.
Storing your Archived Information
The policyIQ Support team will retain your snapshots for as long as you are a policyIQ customer. If you would like, you have the option of storing the archived data locally. You could request a downloadable version of your snapshot or have us send you a DVD with your pages, files and weblinks stored as HTML Pages and organized according to the same Folder structure that you have in your policyIQ site (there is a fee for the service of preparing and sending the HTML Extract. Contact Support for more information.
Accessing Archived Information
While you may have thought that you took every precaution to communicate with content owners prior to this archiving process, you might have someone alert you that they need to access something that you just deleted from the production site. Not to worry…this is why you took the snapshot!
Of course, if you opted to store the data locally, then you need only to locate the appropriate disk or Folder to access the archived data. In any case, we always have a copy of your snapshot on hand. Simply send an email to Support@policyIQ.com requesting access to your snapshot (let us know the date of the snapshot that you want restored and we can make that data available to you in a second policyIQ site).
Adding this process to your routine maintenance plan will not only keep your database size down, it will keep your site clutter-free and easy to use!
(Edited 2/2015 to adjust for version 7 navigation!)