How many times have you been told to “work smarter, not harder” throughout your life? It was a phrase that used to make me crazy when I was younger – probably because like many teenagers, I was convinced that I was the smartest thing that ever existed. Then I entered the “real world”. (That happens to be another phrase that makes me crazy, but I’ll save that for another day.) It didn’t take long to realize two things: 1.) no one really cares how hard I worked on something as long as I accomplished the task (and they cared even less how hard I worked if I didn’t complete the task), and 2.) I have way too many things I enjoy in my life to spend all of my time working. So I had to learn to work smarter.
Work smarter in policyIQ with Reports
1. Do you have a lot of updates or changes that you need to make to your information?
- Create a Detail Report and filter the content down to just those pages that require changes. You might not even be making the SAME changes, but now you have everything you need to work on in a single table, and you don’t have to search or navigate between each update.
- If you ARE making the same changes – the “Status” field needs to be changed to “Complete”, for example – use the Edit > Change Fields option in the table toolbar to make the change to all pages at once.
- If you are making different changes, consider adding a filter to your report that shows you only those pages that have NOT been changed today. As you make changes, the report will refresh to show you only those pages remaining.
2. Do you need to confirm that your content is all linked together properly?
- Use Detail Link Reports – and filter in various ways to show relationships.
Just this week one of our policyIQ users asked if there was an easy way to determine if a Control Page was linked to more than one Process. She was used to seeing those link reports start at the Process, so we just flipped the report around to show Controls first with the linked Processes next. In five minutes, we were able to identify the handful of controls that spanned various processes.
3. Do you want to spend a little time over the quiet holiday season cleaning up old and potentially outdated content?
- Identify your oldest content by creating reports to show you only those pages that were NOT changed in the last 365 days.
- Break down the content by Template – one report for each Template type – so that you can better utilize columns in your report results. Save time by displaying the critical columns right there on the policyIQ table, so that you don’t have to open every item.
- For those items that look good with no changes necessary, choose to Renew Expiration under the Stage menu in the toolbar. That small change will move them off your report, and you can focus on the items that do require updates.
There are hundreds of ways that using policyIQ Reports can help you to work smarter rather than harder, and we’re always happy to help you find those “smartcuts”. Contact us and let us know what you are trying to accomplish, and we’ll help you find the most efficient way to get there!