First, know that it is okay to delete the user from policyIQ. You shouldn’t have to pay for users that are no longer active in your site. Here’s what happens when you delete a user:
- If content was “checked out” to that user, it will land in “Available for Checkout”.
- If they were a Page Administrator or a Page Editor, they simply aren’t anymore.
- If they were the only Administrator/Editor, that field will be blank now.
If you would like to reassign their responsibilities before deleting them from policyIQ, we recommend reviewing these steps:
- Change their password (do not select the option to notify them via email) – to ensure security of your content in policyIQ
- If properties of your content, reports, templates, etc. are assigned to groups, the next step is to go to your Groups and Users structure to swap out the old user for the new one.
- You may add an existing user to the Group if one of your current employees will be taking over the departing user’s responsibilities.
- You can COPY the profile of the departing user to create a like-account for a new replacement employee. Be sure to copy rather than amend the old user’s profile. If you change the old user’s profile, you will compromise the integrity of the audit trail on their previous works.
- If you have content assigned to individual users’ names, utilize Reports to locate all content with the departing user listed as an Approver, Administrator or Editor and then change the properties in bulk by selecting all relevant content in the table and selecting from the Edit options in the toolbar.
Do you remember us chanting “Groups, groups, groups!” when we rolled out policyIQ’s version 6? That was the first version where you could assign properties to a group of people rather than to just a single individual. This capability makes it possible to better manage all security properties in a way that more realistically reflects the real world, AND it makes it way easier to maintain your policyIQ site in the long run if you assign responsibilities to the appropriate Group rather than to an individual.
Crystal clear? Are you still here? If you’re still a little unsure and would like to chat with one of our support folks while you’re working through the necessary steps, we’re standing by and happy to help you feel confident that you’re taking steps to optimize policyIQ for your current needs.